If you need documentation verifying the zoning designation for your property, you can obtain a land use verification letter from the Planning Division.
How can I get a letter?
In order to obtain a land use verification letter you must submit a letter to the Planning Division by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, mail, or in person with the following:
- Property (s) address and/or Map and Tax lot number
- Name and contact information for the person who is requesting the letter
- If the letter should be mailed, emailed, faxed or will be picked up in person when complete
- Any additional questions you want answered besides the standard information that is always
Please note there is a fee for a Land Use Verification letters. It can be found in the Planning Division section of the Master Fee Schedule (Land Use Verification All Others). Checks should be made out to the City of Salem. Cash and credit cards payments can be accepted at the Permit Application Center Planning Desk.
What does the letter include?
The purpose of a land use verification letter is to provide the following:
- Comprehensive Plan designation
- Zoning designation
- Land use
- Past land use decisions and any conditions that apply
- Recent decisions/conditions may be attached to the letter.
- Decisions prior to 2001 are only available on microfiche and are not readily available for copying.
- If conditions of approval apply, they will be typed into the letter.
- If a copy of the actual decision or staff report, you will need to
make a public records request.
- Outstanding zoning code violations
Additional information can be provided upon request, such as:
- Development density
- Lot area and dimensions
- Lot coverage
- Landscaping requirements
- Storage requirements
- Design review requirements
- Parking requirements
What needs to be requested separately?
The following is not included in land use verification letters and you will need to
make a public records request:
- Copies of building permits and permit documents
- Copies of certification of occupancy