You are viewing a page on our old website, which is no longer being actively updated. For the most recent information, please visit our new website at
City of Salem


Skip navigation links
Park Tour
Park Hours
Park Reservations
Dogs In Parks
Urban Forestry
Community Service
Parks Revenue and Master Plan Update
Fairview Park Master Plan
River Currents
Frequently Asked Questions 

Frequently Asked Questions About Parks

Where can I find a list of parks?

You can find a list of parks on the Park Tour page.

How can I reserve a park facility, picnic area, or ballfield?

You can find information about how to reserve a facility or ballfield on the Park Reservations page.

What are the Park Rules and Policies?

Salem Revised Code Chapter 94 includes City code related to Salem parks.

When are Salem parks open?

You can find this information on the Park Hours page.

When are Salem’s splash fountains open?

Typically, Salem's splash fountains are open seven days a week beginning the first weekend following the last day of public school for summer break. For 2016, Riverfront Park and River Road Park splash fountains will open on June 4, and all other splash fountains will open June 11. Times vary, see schedule below.

June 4, 2016

10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Riverfront Park, 200 Front Street NE 
River Road Park, 3045 River Road N.

June 11, 2016

12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Fairmount Park, 650 Rural Street S.
Northgate Park, 3575 Fairhaven Avenue NE.
Wes Bennett Park, 2200 Baxter Road SE.
West Salem Park, 265 Rosemont Avenue NW
Englewood Park, 1260 19th street NE.

What are the rules for dogs in parks?

Please check the Dogs in Parks page with lots of information regarding our four-legged friends!

Is smoking allowed in parks?

Salem parks will go smoke-free effective August 22, 2015.

Is alcohol allowed in parks?

Alcohol is allowed only by permit in certain reservable areas, and additional fees may apply. It is unlawful for any person to possess an alcoholic beverage in any park, sports field, or City-owned facility, or at any event on property controlled by the City, except under the authority and in compliance with the conditions of a permit. See Salem Revised Code Chapter 94.195 for additional information.

Are BBQ grills allowed in parks?

Park users are allowed to bring their own BBQ grill to the park. Heat from small tabletop grills can damage wood table tops and grass when the grills get very hot. Park users are asked to use some sort of insulating material under the grills to prevent damage and to dispose of ashes in a responsible manner.

The following parks have BBQ grills on site:

Brush College Cascades Gateway Blue Gill picnic area
Cascades Gateway Beaver Grove picnic area Fairmount
Orchard Heights Minto Brown Island Shelter
Morningside Sumpter

What are the park trail distances?

Park Trail Distances Spreadsheet

How do I contact staff?

You can contact Parks Operations by calling 503-588-6336, or by sending an email to

How do I become a Park Partner?

Learn about the many volunteer opportunities in parks, including the Park Partner program.

What laws govern street trees in Salem?

Salem Revised Code Chapter 86 contains code related to City street trees.

What are acceptable street trees?

Please review our Acceptable Street Tree List.

What happens to wood from felled trees?

Parks Operations Division has a contract with Marion County Juvenile Department, Alternative Work Programs, to dispose of wood from felled trees.

The Marion County Juvenile Department provides accountability to youth and services to the local community. The staff and youth crews cut the trees into firewood and season it under cover for 12 months. Some of the seasoned firewood is then donated to low income seniors and disabled persons. The rest is sold to the public to pay back victims of youth crime and to help with the cost of the program. Citizens can purchase seasoned cords of firewood from the program, which includes free delivery in town, by calling 503-588-5324. You can also call that number if you have a tree that is already on the ground that you would like to donate. They do not cut down trees, but work with most of the local tree services.

Wood chips generated by Parks Operations Tree Maintenance staff are used within City parks and are not sold or given to the public.

All E-Payments
Court Fees & Fines
SPLASH (Permits)
Tickets & Citations
Utility Billing

Help & Information
A to Z
Contact Us
Salem News
Site Map

Sister Cities
Gimhae, South Korea
Kawagoe, Japan
Permits & Licenses
Building Safety
Land Use Application
License Search
Parking Permits
Permit Search
Public Works Permits

Affordable Housing
Public Housing Properties
Other Rental Properties
Section 8 Programs

Floodplain Information
Natural Hazards Mitigation Plan
Center 50+
City Recorder (Public Records)
Contracts & Procurement
Housing & Social Services
Human Rights
Youth Development

Make a Difference
Boards & Commissions
Neighborhood Associations 
News & Tools
City Calendar
E-mail Subscriptions
Road Work Traffic Impacts
Salem Traffic Cameras

Social Networking
 Copyright © 2011 City of Salem, Oregon All Rights Reserved
All City pages are maintained by City of Salem employees.
Email comments or suggestions to
Website Disclaimer | Non-Discrimination | ADA Accommodation | Human Rights & Relations